* Clove of garlic/ half a tsp garlic salt
* Maggi cube/ any seasoning of choice
* 1 onion chopped
* I celery stick chopped into small chunks
* 1 leek chopped into little pieces
* 2 carrots sticks chopped into small pieces
* 5 good sized chopped mushrooms
* olive oil (approximately 1 tablespoon)
* 500 g minced beef
* 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
* dried penne pasta (cook according to required amount)
* Salt and pepper to taste
* Paprika and chilli flakes if you want it warm and spicy
1. In a large pan of some sort “brown the mince in a little olive oil on medium – high heat breaking it apart with your wooden spatula ” then drain excess water/ juices from the mince
2. Add the finely chopped onions and garlic until browned or for a good 3-5minutes
3. Add the chopped celery, leeks and carrots and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, before adding the mushrooms (let mushrooms sauté for a few minutes)
4. Now add your seasoning “veg stock or whatever you prefer” I had maggi cubes so I added one in here” ,half a tsp of paprika,a dash of chilli flakes plus pinch of salt and pepper and stir away for a good 2 minutes
5. Add the tin of chopped tomatoes and this is the bit that you may want to add or not ( I add a level tsp of sugar as this reduces that acidity you get from the tomatoes), and leave to bubble and cook away for as long as you like on moderate heat “low if cooking longer”. (Minimum of 12-15 minutes whilst you cook your pasta according to instructions on the packet )
This is a healthier option as you know all the ingredients added to your meal..
a level teaspoon of sugar will not make you add too many calories.
Another alternative is using a spiralizer to make courgettes or squash pasta bolognese. This reduces your carbohydrates intake, I used whole meal pasta as I am not cutting my carbs as I am breastfeeding.